Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Yesterday's Doll

Earlier today, someone posed the question, "What books have affected you?" Such questions are almost impossible to answer if you stop and think about them, but if you focus in on those immediate thoughts you had in response to the question...

When Lisa asked what books stood out in my life, the first book I thought of wasn't an Austen novel, or any other highbrow literature. It wasn't even any of my favorites -- Desert Solitaire (Abbey), Vanity Fair (Makepeace Thackery), or the Harry Potter series (Rowling).

Nope. My first thought was of this small book I read over and over when I was around eight years old, called Yesterday's Doll by Cora Taylor. I can't remember the exact details of the wee novel -- mostly, a girl is sick in bed with her doll, and when she falls asleep, she is transported back in time to the Oregon trail into the body of her ancestor, who has the same doll. Adventures ensue, but then the Oregon trail little girl gets very sick. The modern day little girl wakes in her own bed frantic and confused, and ultimately finds out that Oregon trail girl had died at the moment she was 'transported' back to her own modern bed.

So, I have been sitting here, musing about why this book, of all the thousands I have read, was the first book that popped into my mind. Who knows if it was the writing, or maybe I was just at the right age, but Yesterday's Doll was the first time I ever felt connected to a character and fully immersed into a story. It was the first time I ever felt the room zoom around me as I came up for air from a chapter, from an adventure. It was the first time a book made me cry... and oh my goodness, this little book made me sob.

Call it the butterfly effect, call it inevitable, since reading Yesterday's Doll I have loved historical novels, I went through a period of being obsessed with the Oregon Trail, did my state report in 5th grade on Oregon, love reading about time travel, am fascinated with stories about ancestors (actual stories, not just dates) and pretty much feel pierced through the heart when emotive connections are drawn through tangible items: rings, dolls, scarves. The things we remember. Fascinating.

And you? What book has affected you?

****

You've already thought of it. Don't analyze. Just embrace. :)

7 comments:

Elisa Dane said...

Yay! I'm glad my little post got you thinking! Sounds like a wonderful story. It's amazing how books can take us on a journey, and how some, stay with us even as we grow.

Anonymous said...

Can I Get There By Candlelight

Anonymous said...

anna: slake's limbo

Lori Huneke said...

some book about martin luther king jr. I cant remember what it was called. but it was the first book that ever "moved me" as a child. for some reason, through the years.. i always remembered it.

I will have to get "yesterdays doll" for juniper when the time comes. =)

Kerri Anne said...

I cannot even tell you HOW THRILLED I am to have found your site, and this post in particular, after Googling every string of terms I could think of to be able to find the title of the book you just talked about loving as much as I loved it ever since reading it in elementary school.

I haven't been able to remember the name of the book for so many years, but it's one that I often find myself thinking about, for the same reasons you listed above.

Yesterday's Doll! I'm buying it right now.

(Also: hi! I'm Kerri (Anne). I love Neil Gaiman (Neverwhere is my favorite), and Joss Whedon (Buffy!), and you officially just made my day.)

leslaz said...

Kerri! I am so glad to have made your day -- back in April, and am sorry I didn't see this comment sooner. I hope that you enjoyed re-experiencing your book!

amy said...

I have been searching for this book for years, and I finally hit on the right combo of google terms to find your blog. I'm also a lover of Austen & other classics (in fact, if you click on my name you'll see I run an Austen bookstore, ha!) but this book did EXACTLY the same thing to me! I could tell you about all the times I've thought about it and how I couldn't remember the name of it - I actually mourned a little at the thought of never finding it again.

So thank you, thank you, so very very much for writing this post! I have just found the book on Amazon and bought it for myself. I hope I like it as much now as I did when I earned school library fines on it because I kept reading it over and over! :)