Monday, March 1, 2010

Delta Delta

I love old theaters. They rule. Give me the Balboa Theatre, West Portal's CineArts, or the Red Vic over the Metreon or AMC cinemaxes any day. I like the old timey feel, the popcorn, often served in bowls, and the overall quirky atmosphere. A few weeks ago, my sister and I checked out the Delta Theater in Brentwood. The theater was pretty sweet; the building it was in is really old and had quirky angles, resulting (for example) in a bathroom that seemed somehow wedged under an eve. The concession stand prices were about the same as some of the larger cineplexes, but, get this.... our movie tickets cost us six bucks each. I know, right? We had great conversation with the woman selling us the tickets and the popcorn, I got to wander around and take photos, we saw slideshows of cute local puppies before the movie...and it totally didn't break the bank! RAAAAD. Also, you can spend your leftover monies at the super cute wine bar next door. There was even live jazz! People forget that Brentwood existed before the housing boom -- and it's loaded with activities (read: apple picking, peach picking etc) and a super cute downtown! If you head out there, maybe skip the strip malls with Target and Mimis and Bed Bath and Beyond; those stores exists evvvveerrrrywhere. Visit downtown!