Friday, April 2, 2010

the veg in veg monitoring

Work terms become a second language. You don't even realize that what you are saying (often) might not make sense to someone in a different industry. I feel like I throw around the term "veg monitoring" quite a bit, to the response of quizzical looks or blank stares ---see the above photo for an accurate pictorial representation. Morgan and I crept and sat and crept and sat along hillsides in south San Jose yesterday. I usually visit this particular field site in the drier months, when things are prickly, thistly, and full of ticks, but Thursday's visit was rad --- tons of wild flowers were up, and I even saw a federally listed Bay Checkerspot butterfly! Schizophrenic clouds chased us all day, alternating the temps between freezing and quite warm. Good day. Next week, I'm going to a site a bit further south that is really close to one of the highest density wildflower fields in the Bay Area. Awesome.