Friday, June 25, 2010

During the week: disappearing into the landscape

Field work wrapped up at the Lake this week. We were scheduled for more time out there, but we are rockstar field warriors and powered through all the surveys real quick-like. TomM and I won for most time spent at the Lake. We should get stars or gold plated walkies or something. Lessons learned and reflections? Sure. See here:
  • Despite the rattlesnake population being "5x" higher than ever this year, I did not see a single rattle snake. I spent the first three days out there moving the speed of molasses, and tapping every rock before approaching. By the end, I was plowing through fields, still aware, still observant, but much more confident. I also had on snake gators that covered the lower half of my legs. Man. Do those things make you sweat.
  • Physicality. This was the hardest field work I have ever done, and because I wanted to do my share (I was usually the only girl; Amy spent a week too), I pushed myself beyond my usual comfort zone. The resultant discovery was that I am capable of way more than I ever thought I was. That is so rad.
  • It's a weird day at work when you have these two thoughts:
"If I fall, I hope I don't hit my head and lose consciousness before hitting the lake."
"Wow, it's a good thing I have been rock climbing. Otherwise, I would have totally fallen off that cliff."
  • Being the only girl surrounded by super dudely dudes is very educational and entertaining. I learned about hygiene dogma, the ability to tune out voices at a certain pitch, chewing tobacco, and the refreshing nature of Coors Light on tap.
  • I am completely comfortable in pine forests. They feel like home. Oak woodlands make me nervous.
  • Circling Ospreys giving warning calls are no joke. Back away.
  • Coyote pups are possibly the cutest things EVER.
  • Carp are dumb and lazy fish. They will fight for bread you throw in the water. They will not eat tobacco chew (Aaron tested this theory).
  • I am convinced Lake Marina makes boaters sign a contract agreeing only to play Kid Rock, Pussycat Dolls, or Nickleback on all boats on the lake. Associated hooting and hollering must also occur when wake boarders and/or skiers attain the standing position. In addition, if boaters see biologists sweating on steep hillsides or hanging on cliffs, they must swing as close as possible for mocking purposes and to incite jealousy in those clipboard carriers.
  • Old Navy flip flops float. Old Navy flip flops on a lake will all congregate in one area, searching for their mate, which is probably in a boat somewhere or in a tree. It's the truest dating pool! (zing!)
For my job, I do a lot of field work. Most the sites are small, single day visits, and they tend to meld into a blended hodgepodge memory. The time I spent at the Lake will always stand out -- we spent weeks out there, and our project team was rad. The trip also had amazing contrasts: I was surrounded by my team most the time (talking, laughing, driving, boating, discussing, debating, listening to Metallica really loud), but then there were stark periods of isolation, where I would be up on a hillside with no one in earshot, no boats coming around, and none of that ambient noise that happens in the city. I would stop, and sit on a rock for a moment and drink it in; sweaty and dirty and listening.

1 comment:

Elisa Dane said...

Awesome pic! I hate snakes and LOVE you flip flop comment :)