Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Red White and Birthday

My sister's birthday falls on June 14th, which also happens to be the amazing occasion of Flag Day. So, we celebrate both. YAY. The Central Valley was incredibly hot last weekend, and during my sister's bday bbq, the kids all had water guns, sponges, a plastic pool, and water balloons. There was a strict "don't hit the adults with water balloons" rule in place, and the children abided almost perfectly. They filled water balloon after water balloon and sprayed each other with the hose -- they looked like they were having a blast and the scene filled the adults with nostalgia even though we didn't want to directly participate.

Once people left, Brian and I began cleaning the yard up, tossing cups, collecting the sticky assortment of bubble blowing paraphernalia, and deciding that no, these kazoos cannot be saved. And then I found it. A tub of water FILLED with balloons-- these kids must have been preparing for a war that never happened (thwarted by sunburns and tumbling class)!!!

So, of course I began pelting Brian with water balloon after water balloon, and of course he totally rushed me and before he could grab balloons too, of course I started running and screaming at the top of my lungs, "I'm in a white dress! I'm in a white dress!"

Did he listen? Of course not. Just as I was about to make the safety of the indoors, THWAP! A water balloon exploded in the middle of my back. I was in the doorway and spray went into the living room. I suppose from the view on the couch, it was pretty epic: hollers of bloody murder, me throwing open the door, and, backlit by the sun, an explosion of water at my back.

Bombs bursting in air! Happy Flag Day!

No comments: