Thursday, July 1, 2010

During the week: model mottles

Two things.

One- Jen and I were out at a field site on Wednesday (where they unfortunately found a body last Sunday... yeah, that's a different, more exciting and sad story), and we were conducting a wetland delineation. I dug a soil pit and found the above soil clump -- it was orange with mottling, which is basically the reduction of iron. This is what happens when water moves slowly through soil and is one of the features we use to identify wetland habitat. The color was so bright and dense!

Two- Look. At. My. Nails. A few days ago, I had a manicure to celebrate the end of rigorous field work, a treat if you will, and then realized I had to go and do a delineation. I shoveled. I had hands covered in mud and clay. Not a chip! Seriously, Sensi Nails in the Inner Sunset rules (and is only $28 for a manicure AND pedicure).

No comments: