Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sykes Hot Springs: an excursion, victory

So, my 2011 bucket list has been percolating in my brain for a couple of months now, and I am totally behind in blogging. My intention was to first tackle the ones involving snow, but lo' and behold, in January Lori decided she want to go on a three day backpacking trip to Sykes Hot Springs in Big Sur. I say YAY.

Middle of January? Sure. Cold weather gear? Why not. Ten miles up and down, both ways? Bring it.

And it was awesome. The hike was hard (harder than I thought it would be), but the views and the feeling of satisfaction -- not to mention the awesomeness of hot springs in the middle of the woods -- were well worth it. The weather was in the 70s and my pack was so much lighter once everyone ate my apples and Brandon and T threw half of my gear back in my car. WIN.
The Hike
The River by Our Campsite.
The Hot Springs
The Crew

Major victories:
Finding the toilet
Using the toilet
No one fell off the crazy log into the River
Fries at Napenthe post-hike

Injury tally:
2/3 of the crew got some form of Poison Oak (poor Adam, but that's what trail candy gets you!)
1 torn calf
1 person with body bruising due to falling (but not off the log!!!)
...
More Pictures here and here .

Snippet(s):

1 comment:

Lori Huneke said...

awww ya. that post just made my day!! aaaah i want to go back!