Friday, October 2, 2009

mini-conversation (with laundry, with geraniums)

photo by Mr. Bones
Fall is good. Cold weather is good. Ants are bad. They are in my kitchen, coming in from unseen corners, vexing me, causing me to curse and spray kitchen friendly bug spray. My building was built in like 1910. Points of entry for teeny tiny things are endless. Whelms.

But also good? Pumpkin spice soy lattes. I'm back to Fall is good.

I have been doing pilates, stretching tiny corners of my abs, of my ribs (who knew there are mini-muscles there?). I make more space for pumpkin. Pilates is fun, is like dancing and then crying as you lift your legs just one more time (body shakes).

Olga, my Russian neighbor is back from St. Petersburg. When she is here, our shared garden on the back porch thrives. The plants--- they receive more attention and love and I think they know we enjoy sharing them. The flowers and vines may also bask in the company of the multi-colored laundry Olga hangs on the line. I look out my kitchen window, between the geranium and the aeonium to a view of undergarments and jeans and sweaters hanging, swaying. She likes to modify her clothes with ribbon -- a red sweater this morning had pink ribboned stripes woven in. The clothes feel like friends, or at least their presence. The mums need little encouragement now though--- their flowered heads begin to bow with new growth coming from underneath...

I'm still not sure what to do about the ants.

1 comment:

chn said...

"Pilates is fun, is like dancing and then crying"

ahhh yes.