Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Steer me, but don't deter me.

Reverberations from that hit and run in October (stupid bitch) still ring. Apparently, my car's left steering knuckle was cracked or whatever during the accident and has progressively been deteriorating. The Toyota in San Rafael has somehow continuously missed this damage, despite working on the tie rod (which connects to the steering knuckle. I am very savvy now. If you would like to be so savvy, go here).

Long story short? Steering knuckle allows you to turn your front wheels. Mine began to rapidly malfunction while driving in the Mission Monday evening, but I was able to hobble my car home (slowly) and hobble further to SF Toyota in the morning. But it was pretty freakin jacked; the steering was going out. To get my car to drive straight, my wheel had to be turned with the top of it at 9 o'clock, if you can picture the steering wheel as a clock.

Chills would be a subtle word to describe my thoughts on this. Just Sunday, less than 24 hours before rapid deterioration of the steering knuckle, I was driving with Bill and Brandon up near Willits, on windy Highway 101. While driving, we remarked on the beauty of NorCal, with the mountain canyons and curvy roads. Now, I reflect on them as beautiful, but also with the clarity of a near-miss.

1 comment:

chn said...

ooh i had to get a new tire rod. and 3 tires. rod tires rod tires. car fixing is lame.