Tuesday, January 8, 2008

rat-i-fied

My apartment building wraps around the corner; it's a small thing, about three stories high and only having about 8 units. A cheese store used to be in the first floor space, so the occasional mouse down by the trash bins is fairly common. The wee rodents usually stay down by the laundry and recycling. But....

lately, the rodent droppings have been larger. And oh so plentiful. Littering sticky traps in mock. I was disgusted but only became thoroughly grossed out when I saw, up on the garden shelf of my kitchen window (on the third floor of the inner stairwell), evidence of a savage feast on my plumeria. And rat droppings. That night, at 3am when I went for a glass of water, I flicked the light on in the kitchen to see a rat butt pushed against the window and the rat chowing down on the greenery. Sleepily, I banged on the window. The wee bugger whipped around and stared at me, eye to eye. He only fled when I waved my hands at him, a silly dance.

Ew.

The landlord has declared war, apparently. I came home to an absent plumeria plant, and in its stead, the largest snap trap I have ever seen in my life sitting on the shelf of my kitchen window. Instead of his most favorite snack, this rat fellow is going to find something else.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I hope I don't find the carnage. I hope it doesn't happen as I snap peas.

No comments: