Tuesday, January 29, 2008

All things considered

The rat is dead. It was messy and gross. Fortunately, my neighbor found the actual massacre first and disposed of it; I cleaned the aftermath. Yes. Ew is the appropriate response.

***

Since I've been keeping an eye out for cool, new apartments for others, I have become a craigslist stalker for new digs of my own. With this stalking has come the startling and apparent realization that I can never move into a larger apartment, at least not into a place sans roommate. Rents went up over 9% in the city in 2007...enough to bump out of my price range.

This morning, during my normal gander at new listings, basking in the "what if," and "maybe today," I found a posting for a one-bedroom in my building. I consider my rent reasonable (if not awesome) for my wee studio, and my landlord has always been my last hope for potential upgrades, given my wonderful tenant status and his penchant for not charging out the ear.

Till now. The apartment is over twice the price of my studio! And while the place really does sound lovely, $1700 is just way too much. Having laid the price out, city dwellers will scoff at my cheapness, which shows how far we have come; he will completely get the full 1700 smackaroos.

They don't even know about the sneaky, plumeria eating rats.

***
Me, lately:

3 comments:

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ said...

you'd get a kick out of manhattan prices.

sweet said...

dude. $1700 is a rip! that's almost as much as my mortgage. just save up your bucks in your cute little studio.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Hang on to the small spot for as long as you can. There are worse things out there that plumera eating rats.