Monday, October 15, 2007

The Rentals

I have been renting cars.

Day 1:

Car Number 1: Brand new white Toyota Camry from the dealership where they are fixing my car. HUGE car. Found out my insurance would cover a rental through Enterprise, so I returned the white boat quickly.

Car Number 2: My reservation at Enterprise was incredibly last minute, so all that was available to me was a Dodge Caliber. Looks like an angry bulldog, white with a black top. It rattled extensively, the battery light kept going on, and the seat was REALLY low, so I looked like a wee little old lady peering over the dash.

Day 2:

Car Number 3: Our love affair was brief. I was trading the bulldog for a Hyundai Tuscon: cute mini-SUV, maroon and perfect for Bill's and my weekend trip up to Chico to see Anna, Clyde, and Carly. Drove it to the gas station (they of course gave it to me empty). Got back in, tried the wipers....and an "X" of wiper blades appeared across the windshield. Totally broken. Tried to fix them, tried to convince myself we didn't NEED wipers, but since it was raining as I was debating, I drove back to Enterprise.

Car Number 4: Kia Spectra. Sigh. This "beauty" got us up to Chico, but proceeded to vomit oil repeatedly and in large amounts on Anna's driveway. It was towed. I think it's in Marysville.

Day 4:

Enterprise is closed on Sundays, except for their airport locations, none of which are very close to Chico. They will not come pick you up. They might reimburse the cab that brings you to the airport. Combustion(leslie).

Fresh from the unhelpfulness of THAT car company, we went to the OPEN Budget car rental down the street. The guy gave us a great deal, and within minutes we had...

Car Number 5: White Ford Focus. Not glamorous, kinda smells like smoke, but hey, it freakin' runs. And I finally rented from a company actually willing to help me out, rather than shrug their shoulders and claim hands tied. Hands are never tied. Not really.

Oh, and Bill wanted Car Number 5 to be the Mustang that Budget had, and we were THAT close to getting it...but it was substantially more expensive. Bummer, because it would have been way cool...

No word yet on my car and we haven't found the girl that hit and ran. If anyone sees a Black Jeep Cherokee (mid 90s) with a crunched right front bumper/light driven by a blonde girl leaving her scrawled email on cars she thrashes, send a message my way.

2 comments:

Lori Huneke said...

oh my!

sweet said...

i can't believe you thought a mustang would be cooler than a focus! it's like i don't even know you.