Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Disneyland

The last time my family and I were in Disneyland, I had just finished high school, my sister was about to become engaged, and the trip was pretty much the final time things would be as they had always been. Ten years later, our family has grown...and two small girls in minnie dresses lead the way through princess castles, adventure land, and all the way to space mountain.
I hitched a ride down with my folks, listening to my ipod this time instead of a walkman. I also crashed in their room... talk about flashbacking to high school. Dad immediately passed out once we arrived at the hotel for a well-deserved nap. Mom giggled. I checked my shutter speed.
Our first day, we of course hit up the classics. Point of interest: Somehow, as you become older, the teacups become less fun and more barfy. My sister and I were startled by this realization, which lead to unrestrained laughter anyway. Take one for the kids.
It's A Small World. To a five year old, a magical interpretation of the extremely happy cultures of the world. To a 28 year old, something else that mixes a surreal sense of horror along with the feeling someone definitely spiked your drink.
The Matterhorn. Everyone look left. Brinly wasn't stoked on the abominable snowmen with red eyes, but she couldn't really see them, hands in front of her face and all. I drew comical pictures of them for her later to dispel the anxiety.
Tradition. Everytime. Sissy and I try to be Authur. Yes, we are in matching shirts!
Jungle Cruise. Worst. Jokes. Ever.
Mom and Dad wait for the parade. Yay coffee. Tip: Get there early and totally move a bench. My sister and Brian are seasoned veterans.
Dad is beaten in paper, rock, scissors by Brinly. She has no method which is a brilliant method.
Cuteness in Mickey's Toon Town window. Toon Town was actually one of my favorite parts of Disneyland, possibly because there were fun pieces of oversized furniture to climb on. Also, my sister and I found a gem on Roger Rabbit's wild ride or whatever.....the car, which drives erratically anyway, also SPINS (a la teacups, but less barfy). We had our own car together (Brian had the girls), so we let loose with the spins, laughing laughing laughing. It was one of those moments where you suddenly realize you are still 12. More Toon Town Fun:
Dad keeping it real. The fam. Ten years. We look different, but Mickey looks the same. LoveLoveLove.

3 comments:

sweet said...

i totally feel brin on the snowmen. i had nightmares for years (YEARS) about a blizzard mountain monster. i blocked the original traumatic experience and was unable to pinpoint the monster until 2001. boy am i glad to have put that one to rest.

Lori Huneke said...

ooooH!!!! what a lovely post!! what a fabulous trip!! my goodness...good stuff good stuff...

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ said...

tthat's a great shot of your ma and pops when you first got to the hotel room.