Thursday, February 9, 2012

Quandry: The Carrot (aged)

I don't like it when people tell me I am too old for something.  I rarely believe it's true, especially when we are discussing an activity like rollerskating or a certain favorite tshirt that says "QD Mufflers" on it.  However, this theory of mine does not apply to food and it's a double standard I will act quickly on.  For instance, if I even think that milk has been in the fridge to long, if the thought even crosses my mind, I have to get rid of it.  Same with produce. Gone. Later broccoli. Sorry, slightly mealy apple.  As a result, I tend to buy little and often.  Anyway.  Old. 

Which brings us to today.  I'm up in the air about carrots-- when are they too old?  Where is that line?  Is it when they are dried out?  Is it when they start to shrivel?  Is it when the ones in the bottom of the bag get slimy?  Case in point:
It's dry.  There are creases.  I ate one of this carrot's friends, begrudgingly, and there was some bitter (but that may have been the inevitable "one bad carrot").  Is this carrot too old to eat?
Anna says no.

No comments: