Thursday, December 15, 2011

2011 Bucket List: Make a Mincemeat Pie

Oh la la.

I tried making a mince meat pie.  It was on my 2011 bucket list.  My grandma used to make them but now no one does, so I thought HEY!  I will!  This is what I learned:
  • The jarred mincemeat I bought was really really sweet. Too sweet.  Must find alternative.
  • "Trimming" the edges of you pie means pinching the edges that hang over the pan off.  This is so pieces of dough do not fall to the bottom of your oven and burn.
  • My smoke detector actually measures temperature changes, I think.  I can't figure out how the alarm didn't go off since my apartment was full of smoke... due to pieces of dough falling to the bottom of my oven.
  • Not thoroughly cooked pie crust isn't that awesome, not in the way not thoroughly cooked cookies or brownies are.  
Pie Fail.

No comments: