Sunday, August 21, 2011

2011 Bucket List: Dance Class!

This summer, I took a Tap class.

I was the only beginner in my class.  I was also one of the youngest students out of seventeen.  A motley crew, we tapped our way sweaty.  Not only did I learn that I really like tap classes (seriously, is there anything better than stomping your feet sometimes??) and that the left side of my body really is a tad slower than the right, I learned a valuable lesson about trying new things.

If you haven't done this recently, put yourself in a situation that is completely new and where you don't have any idea what to expect.  Seeing how you react is as equally interesting as whatever you are actually doing.  When the class began, I was most definitely not comfortable with the fact that I was the only beginner and all these ladies were way better than me.   Not only that, but I couldn't be as good as them, because I didn't know the steps -- I had to learn.   I was awkward and even more awkward and slow... and laughing.  

Perhaps this bucket list task should have been called "do something humbling."  Regardless, taking tap was incredibly fun, I met some great ladies, and am planning on taking the actual beginner class.  So?  Win.  Left side, catch up.

2 comments:

Lori Huneke said...

nice! the moms at school have asked me a few times to take a "zumba" class with them. Im just not that brave.

Lori Huneke said...

ps. I LOVE this picture