Tuesday, August 12, 2008



Old cd in the car stereo on the way to work, and a Tori song comes on, one that I haven't heard in a long long time, but marvel that I remember every inflection, intonation, gutteral slide. If I were to make a video of this song, it would be a montage of images....driving at lunch in high school in a maroon volvo with tan interior, sunny and Crosby's hair trying to sneak out the sunroof...Mel singing purposefully off-key because she suspects she can't hit the notes anyway...picking out the piano portions on the upright in the fancy living room (all white) while I wait for someone, anyone, to pick me up at my house...

Songs are funny that way, all flashback and reminiscent-ish. Made me want to turn around my car, go home, and pick out the song all over again, not waiting.

But I have a report to write.

2 comments:

chn said...

the first time i heard this song i was i think about 11 (little earthquakes came out i think in 1992) and i was at my grandparents house and they were gone and i was sneaking in some MTV and i remember being super weirded out like my heart opened up and then i didnt know what it was until ninth grade when my mom played this tape of songs that her hairdresser had given her and there it was the song again and i remember my mom wondering if her name was really like Lee or something or gloria (bc of gloria vanderbilt) because of these jeans of his with your name still on them...

chn said...

OMG we should go to korean karaoke. also. for like an hour.