Monday, April 30, 2007

"pain in the booootaaaaaaaaaay"

I spent the majority of last week climbing steep hills, wading through poison oak (oh blessed resistant genes of mine), and keeping an eye out for mountain lions. Erego, MIA. Here's some evidence of my endeavors: The turkey warming these eggs lay flat and camouflaged until I was a meager three feet away. Then, it shot up and both of us hollered. HOLLERED. I had to go over the walkie and tell my coworkers that I hadn't just been eaten by the notorious rock-peeing scat-leaving pawprint-making mountain lion. Apparently, my holler had turned into a laugh at the end, so they already knew things hadn't gone afoul.And here, ladies and gentlemen, is a supreme example of modern California oak woodland. Native, undisturbed, pristine. Go. Frolic.
John took us on a wee detour in the hills of Orinda to visit an unexpected Native American rock spiral nestled on a mountain top. Rob, John, and I walked the spiral path, bringing offerings of bi-colored lupines. Apparently, the area is still in use by native cultures and public alike. It's nice the site is a bit hidden; there really wasn't any sign of disrespect, even if people respect in different ways. Cool.

3 comments:

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ said...

i want to see the pictures but can not see the pictures
i like oaks

leslaz said...

sad. I'm not sure why. my coworker can see them......I'll email them to you. badblog.

Lori Huneke said...

fantastic fantastic