Friday, March 11, 2011

English word of the day

Sarah has been giving me English lessons.  English lessons you say?  Yes.  Apparently, I've got it all wrong.


Word of the day: 
Numpty:  A bit of an idiot. 


It's also in the Urban Dictionary:
  • Someone who (sometimes unwittingly) by speech or action demonstrates a lack of knowledge or misconception of a particular subject or situation to the amusement of others. 
  • A good humoured admonition, a term of endearment 

Use it well.  In trade, I told her what a dingleberry is. 

3 comments:

tnar etteloc ees said...

um...dingleberry...ew...

sweet said...

i'm rather bothered by all the human connotation in the urban dictionary dingleberry definitions. perhaps i'm naive, lacking butt hair and all, but i've always considered it a phenomenon more associated with my pets.

leslaz said...

Funny you say that, T. I definitely amended the definition when I was talking to Sarah, saying that I had only associated it with dogs before. We felt better about that.